The calm before the next wave? - 16-18 weeks

Not wanting to jinx myself, but, things seem to be going pretty well at the moment. Our days seem a lot calmer than just a few weeks ago and BB seems to be rather content. I am savouring every moment of this fairly tranquil time as I am sure it is just the calm before the next wave of unknown territory. BB's teething seems to be calming down a bit too, although she has a few moans now and then, which the cooling teethers frantically purchased just before Christmas help her with.

I recently took BB on her longest drive to date. We were meeting up with friends and some of their little ones for lunch where we all grew up. I was making the journey on my own with BB so I had to thing about timings as didn't want to ruin her good day-time routine of her feeds and nap times. Luckily she slept well on the way there and on the way back but she did find it hard to settle when there were other people there (mostly because she likes to be involved with whatever is going on).

BB has really taken to her tummy time now and has mastered the bottom-in-the-air-push-your-legs-away-from-the-rest-of-your-body-bury-your-head-into-the-ground-whilst-your-arms-wont-move position which she is starting to get frustrated with – time to get the house ready for a crawling baby??

I have been getting BB used to her Jumperoo which is proving to be another life, and time, saver. She will happily stand in it whilst figuring out how to make the music play with a bit more of a bounce from her. She is also becoming more adventurous with her hands and starting to reach out for toys with both of her hands. Away, from the Jumperoo, this means that most of the items which are successfully grabbed by BB end up in her mouth. BB has also mastered a new game of grabbing a toy from my hands (usually her chain of teething rings – her most favourite toy), holding on to it and then letting it go, expecting me to catch it. This game can go on for quite some time!

BB has also now had her third lot of jabs which made her particularly sleepy this week but she has recovered from them well. Mr B came along to these and I did warn him that it can be a little upsetting to see BB having these. But true to form she cried as the jabs were jabbed but after a cuddle from me she recovered very quickly and even smiled at the nurse. BB now won't need any more jabs until she is 12 months, phew!

Having taken a break from trying to get BB to take a bottle I thought I'd try her with a cup. We were given a Tommee Tippee tip it up cup by friends, so I give this a go. The first few tries are total disasters in that BB wont even let the soft spout go in her mouth. Then when she does allow it in she munches on it, sucks some milk up and lets it all dribble out down her chin and all over herself. Mr B says that she clearly doesn't like it and that I should just to carry on with the breastfeeding. However, I am determined to crack this so I give her another break and then offer the cup to her again a few days later, allowing her to play with the handles and generally getting used to it. Miraculously she allows the spout into her mouth and does seem to drink some of the milk – although there is still a fair bit of dribbling going on and she doesn't actually take the whole feed. But it is a major step forward in my book.




No comments:

Post a Comment