Keep rolling, rolling, rolling - Weeks 14-16


There is clearly no moss on my little one. Having not really liked tummy time initially she has got more used to it and is now pretty strong on her arms. She actually seems to enjoy to be perched on them and being able to look around at her toys to see which one will be her next playmate. After a couple of minutes she gets tired out so I pick her up to do a different activity before her next nap. I don't do tummy time every single day as some days BB seems more tired than others. However, when I try it again at 15+1 weeks she surprises me with a proper roll from her front to her back. Hoping that it isn't a fluke I place her down on her tummy again and after a few pushes of her arms and slight twist of her body and legs, her whole body rolls over to her back! We are both delighted and she beams a wide toothless grin at me. But whenever I try and get BB to do this again in front of Mr B or others she seems to get stage fright so I decide to try and capture it on film as evidence the next time she looks as if she might do another flip.

At 15+5 weeks BB also surprises me with her first proper laugh. I was hoping that this might be on its way as she had done a half giggle just after a feed a week or so previously, but hadn't developed it any further so I was starting to doubt myself as to whether it had actually happened. But this one was a definite throaty laugh having done a bit of dancing on her back on her play mat, waving her arms and legs around (copying her mother who was prancing around the living room). This leads to many attempts at making BB laugh again by trying out various silly dances but it seems that none are quite as funny as the original. I'll just have to find something else which she'll find even more hilarious!

The laughter was a lovely moment, which has counteracted the first signs of teething. BB has had a few sporadic days of drooling, rosy cheeks, sucking on her fists (or anything else she can get her little puds on) and a few wails. When I mentioned this to the Health Visitor last time I saw her she said that it was a bit early for BB to be teething. But the signs are clearly there, that there is movement beneath those pink gums! I am hoping it wont be too long or too painful for her before the first bright white tooth pops up - teethers have been ordered for the ready.

One thing I wasn't quite prepared for after the birth was the extent of hair loss that I would have. This only started a few weeks ago but it is literally coming out in clumps, especially when I am washing it or brushing it. I am loosing so much hair that Mr B keeps finding it around the house and asks me to clear it up on a daily basis – a bit difficult to do when picking up hair from the floor isn't really a top priority right now! I'm sure there must be something that could be done with all this hair – I wonder if there would be a market for using it to make wigs??

I have started to get back into my normal clothes, well, I have been able to fit into my trousers for a while now (although I didn't even try my normal jeans for some weeks after the birth and when I first did I couldn't even get them over my thighs! Very demoralising!), but my tops have been a bit tricky as I am still breastfeeding. I have found that the selection of nursing tops out there isn't great and speaking to other breastfeeding mums it seems that everyone has there own way of coping, some don't have any problem with their normal baggier tops and just pop their little ones underneath (BB doesn't like to have her face covered so this is a no go for me - nor is using a sling to keep everything covered for the same reason), some use a double layer of tops so that their stomach is covered whilst they pull down the second layer down and top layer up for easy access to their nursing bra, some use a scarf or the like whilst they unbutton their shirt. I still find the logistics of feeding in public quite tricky so try to make sure that I have fed BB just before going out and get home in time for her next feed – this is not always possible so a stop at John Lewis' parent room is often needed! And having heard of the news of the Brighton mum who was verbally attacked for breastfeeding her four month old in public, this really doesn't help my confidence! But her flashmob event did make me smile.

As BB's four month mark is fast approaching I decide to do some research into weaning. Not that I am necessarily going to start this in the next few weeks (it is advised not to start weaning with puréed food until at least 17 weeks if the signs that baby is ready and not until 6 months for solids – although you still have to feed baby either breast milk or formula until at least 12 months as well - but weaning should definitely start by six months as milk on its own wont be enough for the baby's needs at this stage) but I feel that this is quite a major development stage and that I want to get my prep in early. Many mums have recommended the Annabel Karmel books and the usual baby rice, purées and mashed up foods. I have also been recommended a book called Baby Led Weaning, which effectively lets your baby feed themselves – more research is needed...

No comments:

Post a Comment